Monday, January 30, 2006

Asking the Right Questions, Finding the Right Answers

The disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:1-4) I am learning that one of the keys to discovering truth is the ability to ask the right questions. It is interesting to note from this passage of scripture that the disciples asked "who is the greatest?" instead of "what does it take to be the greatest?" They were more interested in personal gain than personal integrity. Jesus, in his astute way, exposed the motives of their heart. Greatness is never attained by entitlement, position, or proper association, it is attained through humility.

Many of you know I have a five year old boy named Josiah. He is such a joy to raise. This stage of fatherhood has been such a pleasure for me. I love spending time with Josiah. Everytime we are together he is always asking me a ton of questions. He has such a hunger to learn. I believe he asks me so many questions for three main reasons. First, he does not know the answer to the question. Second, he trusts his father. And third, he thinks I know the answer.

Sometimes his questions are silly or selfish. I must admit, these questions can be a little annoying at times. Quite often, he is seeking truth and understanding when he asks me questions. I love when he asks me "truth seeking" questions. It is a great joy to impart wisdom and instruction to him. I believe our heavenly Father loves to do the same for us. The important thing is to ask the right questions.

The gospels are full of Jesus' teaching and instruction. However, Jesus also asked questions to many people. As the omniscient God, was Jesus really looking for the answer? No. I believe he was teaching his disciples to ask the right questions. My favorite is when he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?" (Matthew 16:13) There is no more important or "right" question that will ever be asked on planet earth. All truth, wisdom and understanding begins with knowing Jesus. Truth can only be discovered by asking the right questions.

It is also important to get the right answers from the questions we ask. In order to know Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God, Peter got his answer from the Father in heaven (Matthew 16:16). All people ask basically the same questions. The answers they get, however, are radically different depending on the person's worldview. According to Darrow L. Miller in "Discipling Nations", all men ask questions from three main categories: epistemological, metaphysical and moral.

Epistemological questions concern themselves with the nature, limits, and validity of knowledge. "Is there truth?" "What can I know?" and "How can I know?" are examples of the kinds of fundamental questions from which all others spring.

Metaphysical questions concern themselves with the fundamental nature of reality and being. They include "What is ultimate reality?" "Is there a God?" "What is the essence of nature and of time?" The disciplines of metaphysics include ontology (the study of being), cosmology (the study of nature and the universe), and teleology (the study of purposes).

Moral questions cover values, ethics, and morals in general and the problem of evil in particular. "Is ther right and wrong?" What is good?" "What is beautiful?" and "Where did evil come from?" are examples. This field of study is known as axiology, meaning the study of worth.

The way people and societies answer these questions determines the types of cultures and societies they create. Some answers to these questions lead to poverty, barbarism and slavery; others, to prosperity, peace, freedom and civilization.

Your homework assignment for February is to read "Discipling Nations" by Darrow L. Miller. No, we are not related. Yes, we are both brilliant. Ha Ha!!! Hope you enjoy. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ron, I came across your blog today and found it intriguing. Sometimes I wonder about the sayings of the mysterious man from Nazareth. He always seems to know just the right thing to say. I’ve been checking out some of his work, and you’re right he often begins his conversations with a question? I wonder if growing up as a first century Jewish boy, did Jesus have questions about life and how things are going to work out? I wonder if as he listened to the Rabbi debate the sacred scriptures?

I don’t know about you, but most of the time I find myself trying to figure out the answer to the question before the person I am talking to finishes their inquiry. Slowly, I am learning that in doing so I am completely missing the point. Maybe now I am listening to the question and begin asking myself what made them ask that question? What is the question behind the question?

So as a grown man, when I read this story, I can’t help to find myself in it. I can’t help but to ask, what does it mean for me to “change and become as a child?” Maybe I start by admitting that I don’t have all the answers nailed down. Is this “change” a heart matter or mind issue? Does it just happen once in my lifetime, or is it a continual process of turning away from what I think I know and turning towards a greater reality?

Anyway, thanks for the space to explore what it means to live out these difficult words of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

And for this one, read The Consequences of Ideas, by RC Sproul (Ligonier).

Adam (agoldman@lpemail.com)