Thursday, April 13, 2006

Serving: The Antidote for Selfishness

(33)“We are going up to Jerusalem,” he said, “and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and teachers of the law. They will condemn him to death and will hand him over to the Gentiles, (34) who will mock him and spit on him, flog him and kill him. Three days later he will rise.” Mark 10:33-34

In this passage of scripture Jesus is explaining to his disciples the type of death he would suffer and how he would rise again to life. You would think that they would have been sympathetic and compassionate to Jesus. They should have been burdened with the fact that the one they had left all to follow was about to die. It seems logical that they would ask Jesus if there was something they could have done for him. If nothing else, they should have been more inquisitive about Jesus rising from the dead.

Instead, listen to the request of James and John in Mark 10:35-37. (35) Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.” (36) What do you want me to do for you?” he asked. (37) They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”

Amazing! Someone tells you they are about to be killed and you make a selfish request. This is exactly what James and John did. Based upon their request, I don’t think they even heard a word of what Jesus had said to them. Sure, they listened, but did they really hear? When you think only about yourself, you are deaf and blind to the needs of those around you. Serving is one of the ways we get selfishness out of our lives.

Many of you know I have two boys, Josiah (5) and Ethan (3). Because they are the only grandchildren in the Miller and Milbuta families, they are blessed with many toys. Every morning, without exception, they fight over one toy. Whatever toy Josiah has, Ethan wants. Whatever toy Ethan has, Josiah wants. Their disputes remind me that selfishness is a sign of immaturity, while service is a sign of maturity. Maturity is a key to obedience. And obedience is the proof that we really love God (John 14:23).

Life has taught me that when I am thinking only of myself I am usually discontent and unhappy. When I stop thinking about myself and put my attention on others, I find peace, joy, purpose and fulfillment. I will leave you with a quote that has inspired me to continue to serve others.

I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see. I sought my God, but my God eluded me. I sought my brother, and I found all three (Author Unknown). Only when I serve others do I truly discover God, myself and the blessing of others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's SO true and so good. Thanks Pastor Ron! I think it's something a lot of people (definitely myself included)need to hear right now :-)