Thursday, November 09, 2006

Lessons from Leadership Letdown

The Rev. Ted Haggard agreed Saturday to resign as leader of the megachurch he started in his basement more than 20 years ago after its independent investigative board said he was guilty of "sexually immoral conduct."

Also, Haggard resigned as president of the influential National Association of Evangelicals, an umbrella group representing more than 45,000 churches with 30 million members.

It is never pleasant to discover a leader is living a life of hypocrisy, especially when it is a pastor. As a fellow clergyman, it breaks my heart to find out one of my brothers in Christ has stumbled. I hurt for Ted, his family, his church and all who have followed his leadership as a minister. I pray for all involved in this incident.

This is not the first time a spiritual leader has “fallen from grace” and I am sure it will not be the last. Unfortunately, I have experienced similar disappointments in leaders I have trusted in over the years. Instead of causing me to question my faith, these moments have actually strengthened my trust in God.

There are four lessons I am reminded of when leaders let me down.

First, I am reminded that nothing can be hidden from God. Hebrews 4:13 says, “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” God will expose and humiliate everyone who lives in hypocrisy, especially those who preach and teach his word. If there is anything thing we can trust in, it is God’s ability to divulge that which is false.

Second, I am reminded that not everyone is a hypocrite. When leaders fall it is not an excuse to deny Jesus and his teachings. He is the world’s greatest example of a man who lived a life free from pretense and deceit. Hebrews 5:15 says, “For we do not have a high priest (Jesus) who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet without sin.” Because Jesus lived a sinless life, we all are without excuse when it comes to following him as Lord.

Also, men like Joshua and Apostle Paul were true to their faith. Israel, under Joshua’s leadership served the Lord throughout his tenure (Joshua 24:31), and Apostle Paul expected a great award in heaven because he had faithfully served his Lord. In 2 Timothy 4:7, his final letter before death, he says, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”

Third, I am reminded that I am susceptible to sin. Therefore, it is my responsibility to feed my soul and make sure I am not getting complacent in my spiritual life. Because we have the potential to fall, Peter exhorts believers in Christ to daily add divine qualities to their faith. 2 Peter 1:10-11 says, “Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, (11) and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”

Finally, I am reminded of the fact that what we build with our gifts will be destroyed by our lack of character. God expects us to steward well the gifts and abilities he has given us. All gifts are from God and therefore should be used for his honor (James 1:17). Building our character is the greatest way to steward our gifts, and make sure we honor God with what he has entrusted to us.

In the instant messaging culture of America, we have grown accustomed to wanting things to happen quickly. Character is built over a lifetime. Faithfulness to God takes your whole life to prove and only a moment to lose. Jesus waited thirty years to prepare for three years of productive ministry. If Jesus waited that long, how long should we wait?

Remember: Give more time to preparation (character) than production (gifting).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We are all sinners (human) and tempted at many points in our lives.

I do hold and expect religious leaders to try to be better than the average person in repelling temptation.

A lifetime of hidden immorality is not just a mis-step, or a temporary falling from grace.

The number of incidents of seedy behavior by religious members or leaders is so large; that the public view it as a real problem, not just a FEW that have strayed.

Add to that the cover-up of the immorality or abuses that goes right to the top of the religious administration; it's erroding the respect and ability of religious leaders, to lead.

I'm talking about the main religious groups in our society.

The TV preachers have through their poor words and behavior; have heightened the publics perception of religious leaders/members hypocrisy, added hate for certain minorities to the tools of preaching, and made God appear as an illogical, unforgiving, vengeful, disciplinarian.

I don't know if this kind of behavior from religious leaders has been better or worse in the past; I only know that I'm not comfortable with what's going on and seek my spirituality away from regular church services.

That means I'm not giving of my time or money to the church. I'm not alone in this thinking. Many people I know (who are believers) are spending less time at their churches. This is not good for the church, or me.

Given the high number of incidents of abuse and immoral behavior by religious leaders/members; I don't think it is unreasonable for me or others to question or lose respect for religious leaders.

The only answer I see, is to choose my place and leader of worship, carefully. I thought I had, only to find out that leader was molesting the children in our parish. It was a shock to everyone. A shock that led many to leave the parish, including me.

I was told by friends not to let one incident to chase me away. But it's not one incident. I have run into this problem since I started religious education in 1st grade.

Sorry for the rant. If I sound bitter, I am.