Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I Have a Serious Case of the Orange and Blues

The Florida Gators beat the Ohio State Buckeyes 41-14 to win the 2007 Tostitos National Championship Game of college football. What is the world coming to?

For the first time in NCAA history, one university holds the football and basketball national championship at the same time, and it is the University of Florida. It must be the end of the world as we know it. As a former Florida State University (FSU) basketball player, graduate and strength coach, this is a hard pill to swallow. I am convinced we are under judgment as a nation.

All joking aside, I would like to congratulate my arch rival, the University of Florida, for a job well done.

As I went about my business the day after the game in Tallahassee, a city that usually reins supreme in the garnet and gold of FSU, I saw people wearing orange and blue everywhere. After finishing one of my sets on the bench press at the gym, I observed yet another gentleman entering the weight room area in a Florida sweatshirt. As I read FLORIDA across his chest, I began to think about the power of being victorious.

There is a certain boldness and confidence that comes with victory. Tallahassee is not the most orange and blue friendly city in the world. However, this did not hinder the Gators from wearing their colors. They were coming out of the woodwork. The innumerable amount of people wearing orange and blue paraphernalia declared one simple truth that even I could not deny—the Gators are champions.

There is one characteristic that makes a team champions. This is the fact that they have defeated a great competitor. In other words, a champion is known for what it conquers. The Gators beat a Buckeyes team that was the only undefeated team of the regular season, and also possessed the Heisman Trophy winner in Troy Smith. Because of these two accomplishments, Ohio State was predicted to win the game.

1 Corinthians 15:55-58 says, “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” (56) "The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. (57) But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (58) Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

It is one thing to beat an undefeated football team, but it is a much greater accomplishment to conquer sin and death. That is why Jesus is the greatest champion of all time.

Since Jesus is the greatest champion of all time, Christians should courageously display his message to the world. His victory over sin on the cross, and death by rising from the grave, should give us a boldness and confidence to stand firm and give ourselves fully to the work of the Lord.

If the Gators can display their championship colors in Tallahassee, certainly we as Christians can proclaim the truth of Jesus to people bound by sin and fearful of death.

Psalm 44:6-8 says, “(6) I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; (7) but you (Jesus) give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. (8) In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever.”

As victorious Christians let’s make our boast all day long about the greatest champion who defeated our most formidable foes—sin and death.

Are you victorious in Jesus? If so, it should be obvious for all to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Ron, so good. Jesus IS the greatest champion of all time. And yes...everyday I live to proclaim His name and victories, just as my nephew (who is a huge Florida fan...yeah I don't know what happened) proclaims UF as champions proudly!!
You are are super strong and are still PastorRonTheBomb.com