Monday, May 14, 2007

Jesus and Starbucks—A Better Way to Start Your Day

From triple-shot lattes to Red Bull to Ritalin, Americans are more wired than ever according to a recent U.S. News and World Report cover story titled “Over the Limit.” Americans are catching a buzz and taking a risk with their health. According to the article by Nancy Shute, overworked and sleep-deprived Americans are increasingly wired, as they turn to coffee, colas, energy drinks, and other stimulants to fuel their frazzled lifestyle. The health effects, especially among the young, have doctors worried.

After finishing my cardio workout the other day in the gym, which includes 30 minutes of Bible reading and prayer, I walked up to a gentlemen I frequently see working out and began to say some encouraging words to him as he exercised. He looked at me with a surprising look, shocked by my good mood early in the morning, and said, “Wow, you must have had a big cup of coffee this morning.” Why would he associate my high energy, joyful greeting and words of encouragement with a cup of coffee?

Yes it is true that I possess high energy, a joyful disposition and a desire to encourage people I come in contact with throughout the week. Remember, I pastor a church with over 400 attendees, father three young boys and serve as the Vice President of Champions for Christ while traveling frequently with ministry responsibilities. So, it is not like I sit around twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do, and sprint to the gym like my kids on the playground finally relieved to burn up all my pent up vigor. In fact, right now, I am typing this sentence of the blog you are reading at 11:56pm at night.

What is not true is that my energy, joy and encouragement are produced from any substance that contains caffeine. Where do I get these distinctive attributes? They come from the Spirit of God. I don’t rely on the coffee bean to stimulate me. Instead, I rely on the Maker of the coffee bean to fill me with His presence.

Stay tuned for part 2 of Jesus and Starbucks—A Better Way to Start Your Day.

No comments: