Monday, July 02, 2007

What Are Humans That God is Mindful of Us?

(1) O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! (3) When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, (4) what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? (5) You have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. (6) You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet: (7) all flocks and herds, and the beasts of the field, (8) the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas. (9) O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!

Imagine this! You are sitting on a boat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in Alaska and there is hardly a ripple on the water. Surrounding you, as far as you can see, are snow capped mountain ranges with rolling vast forests on the side of them. Sitting perched on top of the trees and soaring through the air are several bald eagles. Looking to the left you see seals playfully swimming in the cool water. Looking to the right you see the whales spouting as they role through the water. And in the boat, a good friend has a 135 lb Halibut hooked on his fishing line with a grimace and a smile on his face. The temperature outside is about 70 degrees with a cool breeze blowing through your hair. There is not a cloud in the beautiful blue sky.

I just got back from a four day fishing trip in Alaska. What I described to you in the paragraph above was my day on Wednesday. It was one of the most beautiful days I have ever experienced in my life. That morning, during my devotional time, the Lord led me to Psalm 8. It’s funny how He has a way of doing that to me. O Lord, our Lord how majestic is your name in all the earth! When you find yourself in the middle of God’s awesome creation, you truly have to be a fool to deny His existence (Psalm 14:1).

While sitting on the boat that day admiring the handiwork of God, I had two encouraging thoughts after reading Psalm 8.

The first one was the fact that the Almighty God is mindful of me. In fact, He created me to have a relationship with Him. No one knows me better than my Creator. Because He is mindful of me, this means he will provide for me, protect me and guide me through life. While observing His amazing creation and thinking about the brilliance of His mind, it was quite comforting to know that He is mindful of me.

The second thought was the fact that human beings are the crown jewel of His creation. We were in awe every time we saw an eagle soar, a whale spout or a seal glide through the water. But, I began to wonder if an eagle, whale or seal could reason, what would they think about us? I bet they would be envious that we were created to rule over the work of God’s hands. An eagle can soar in the wind, but it will never be able to fly a plane. A whale and seal can swim in the ocean, but it will never be able to sail a boat.

And more importantly, the eagle, whale and seal can never know the mind of their Creator. We, as God’s people, are designed to have a relationship with the Majestic One. I pray that we would make the most of this wonderful privilege, and fully understand what it means to be crowned with God’s glory and honor.

O Lord, our Lord how majestic is your name in all the earth!

No comments: