Sunday, September 23, 2007

Dog Fighting the Truth

My seven year old son Josiah loves dog fights. He is an expert on their fighting tactics and very knowledgeable about the participants in battle.

During a fishing trip over the summer, Josiah asked a good friend of mine if he liked dog fighting. My friend answered him with a resounding “no”. My son, confused and saddened by his answer, said, “Dog fighting is so cool, I can’t believe you don’t like it.” All of a sudden my friend began to wonder what kind a child I was raising.

After about five minutes of dialogue, my friend finally realized that my son was talking about the show “Dog Fights”. It recreates historic jet fighter air battles from previous wars. It really is a cool show if you have never seen it on television.

As my friend was telling me the story about his conversation with my son, we both were laughing at his misunderstanding about the type of dog fighting Josiah was chatting about. After talking with him, I started thinking about how we determine truth, justice and righteousness in America today. Just like my friend during his discourse with my son, our nation is confused and, therefore, hypocritical in regards to our ethics.

In Matthew 5:13, Jesus said, “You (referring to Christ-followers) are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.”

What did Jesus mean by referring to Christ-followers as salt? Throughout history, salt has been used as a preservative. Jesus was reminding His people that they are to preserve truth and morality in our society.

Stay tuned for part 2 on "Dog Fighting the Truth".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny; I was also wondering at first why the heck Josiah was into dog fighting. I thought maybe he was a huge Michael Vick fan. lol.