Sunday, October 21, 2007

Money Leads - Hearts Follow

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

Our hearts always go where we put God's money. As surely as the compass needle follows north, your heart will follow your treasure. Money leads; hearts follow.

When a rich young man pressed Jesus about how to gain eternal life, Jesus told him, “Sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me” (Matthew 19:21). The man was obsessed with earthly treasures. Jesus called him to something higher—heavenly treasures.

Jesus knew that money and possessions were the best indicators of our heart’s affections. He also knew that money can have a god-like power over people. He realized that the rich young man wouldn’t serve God unless he dethroned his money idol. But the seeker considered the price too great. Sadly, he walked away from real treasures.

We are supposed to have our eyes, hearts and minds on eternity. Apostle Paul reminds the church at Colosse the rules for holy living. He said in Colossians 3:1-3, “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. (2) Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (3) For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.”

Do you wish you cared more about eternal things? Then reallocate some of your money, maybe most of your money, for temporal things to eternal things. Watch what happens.

1 comment:

Lauren Hayley Bruffett said...

Hi. I'm Lauren Bruffett. I visited your church today, 10/28/07, and I wanted to let you know that it was one of the best sermons I have ever heard. It was the third in the series, Money Talks. You have a great way of helping me connect to what you are preaching. I'm going to try and get my mother to come to church with me next Sunday to Every Nation. We're both born again christians, but have lost our way somewhere, me more than her. I'd like to have a talk with you sometime, if possible. E-mail me at tink_3239@yahoo.com with a reply. Thanks, and may God bless you!