Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Get Cut (Part 2)

The second characteristic is discipline in God’s Word.

Acts 17:11 says, “11Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.”

Luke makes it a point to draw attention to two magnificent qualities of the Bereans. First, they had a desire, or eagerness, for God word. Second, they had a discipline that led them to examine the Scriptures everyday. They did not just rely on the preaching of Paul. They learned how to read and study the word on their own. The Bereans were not satisfied to live on Apostle Paul’s faith; instead, they demonstrated nobility of character and maturity by feeding themselves on God’s word.

It is impossible to maintain greatness in any activity without discipline. The Berean’s eagerness (desire) led to their discipline of examination. Tiger’s love for golf results in countless hours of practice. Even after playing great rounds of golf, he has been known to stay on the driving range until dark perfecting his swing.

In his first and second book to Timothy, Apostle Paul exhorted his spiritual son to be a man of discipline and conscientious study. 1 Timothy 4:7 says, “Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly." In a world where there are many philosophies competing against the will of God, just like in the days of Timothy, it is imperative that we are trained and equipped with a Biblical worldview.

2 Timothy 2:15 says, “15Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.” He also reminded Timothy about the importance and purpose of Scripture. 2 Timothy 2:16-17 says, “16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

One day while working out, I began to think about all the hours I have trained trying to attain those illusive six-pack of abs. Instantly, I became convicted about the fact that I had spent more time conditioning my body than strengthening my soul and spirit. Also, the reality that my physical body is “wasting away” daily made my out of balance regimen even more troubling. It was in this moment that I added spiritual disciplines to my daily workout routine.

While riding the bike, I read my Bible for twenty minutes. After riding the bike, I do the elliptical machine for seven minutes. This is enough time to read a Psalm, a Proverb, 2-4 chapters in the Old Testament, one chapter in the New Testament, and memorize one verse of Scripture. Then, I finish my cardio workout by running 5-10 minutes on the indoor track. While running, I pray the Lord’s prayer, meditate on what I just read in the Bible, and recite my memory verse in my head. In 2006, this discipline allowed me to read the Bible in a year, and memorize 1 John, 2 Timothy, James, 1 Peter, Philippians and Ephesians. Before this, I used to doubt I could memorize one scripture a week. This year I have already read the Bible through Deuteronomy and I have memorized 3 John, Luke 17:1-10, Hebrews 11, Matthew 7:24-27 and Romans 8.

I am convinced that the key to my consistency in my walk with the Lord is my diligence to read, study, memorize and meditate on God’s word. I am being regenerated inwardly day by day as God’s word transforms me and renews my mind. After seventeen years of being a Christian, I have not “lost that loving feeling.” I have often hoped that I would run into that lady during my travels and let her observe me still reading God’s word and still excited to gain wisdom and revelation about my Lord.

My workout routine is how I tell my body who is the boss. What do you do when you wake up and realize that you don’t hunger and thirst for God? You tell your body who is the boss! God‘s word is as important to the nourishment of your soul and spirit as food is to your physical body.

Stay tuned for part 3.

No comments: