Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Purpose of Christmas

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this. Isaiah 9:6-7

I often get asked, “What is the purpose of Christmas?” It is impossible to try to answer this question with a single statement. Of course, the purpose of Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus. But, why is Jesus’ birthday so significant and what does He offer us when we receive His gift?

Pastor Rick Warren was recently interviewed on the television show “Hannity and Colmes”. Pastor Rick’s new book, “The Purpose of Christmas” was the topic of the conversation. As always, Pastor Rick was able to provide an answer that is easy to understand and remember.

Listed below is what we get when we receive the gift of Jesus in our lives.

(1) Jesus gives us a past forgiven.

I recently joined the Facebook universe. It has been a great joy to reconnect with so many old friends. Many of them are old high school classmates. Some of them I haven’t talked to in over twenty years. Connecting with my old friends brings back so many memories of the past. Most of those memories are great ones. However, some of those memories are experiences I wish I never participated in.

One thing for sure is that connecting with old friends reminds me that I am not the same person I used to be. I am so thankful that I am now a Christ-follower and my past sins have been forgiven. When I think about my wonderful marriage and my beautiful children, and what a blessing it is to be a husband and father, I know that none of it would be possible without a past forgiven.

(2) Jesus gives us a purpose for living.

Before I became a Christ-follower I used to live for my own selfish ambitions. Everything I did was all about me. In basketball, it was all about how many games I could win and how many records could I break. In dating, it was all about how many women could I go out with. In education, it was all about getting a degree so I could make money and buy myself stuff. Everything was about me. There is nothing wrong with basketball, women, or having a job, but these pursuits without God are meaningless.

Now I have a real purpose for living. It is to know God and make Him known to people. It is not about my will being done, but God’s for my life. One of the greatest feelings in life is the security that comes from knowing why you were created and what you are supposed to do with your life. Without this, life is a bunch of aimless wanderings and pursuits, or at best, a roll of the dice. Without God, Forrest Gump said it best, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get.”

(3) Jesus gives us a place in heaven.

After a run last week, I cooled down by going on a prayer walk while listening to worship music on my I-phone. Each step reminded me that I am on a pilgrimage here on planet earth. This is not our permanent home. For those who have received Jesus as their Lord and Savior, their final residence is in heaven. I can’t wait until that glorious day.

Jesus is hosting the grandest and greatest celebration of all time. It is called the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. We are going to feast, dance, and sing with the King of kings. No getting tired, no hangovers and no love handles. Praise God!

And, He has asked us to invite as many people as possible to attend. In our Father’s house there are many rooms and Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us. We are on a journey to the ultimate place and party the universe has ever experienced. I can’t wait!!!

As you celebrate Christmas this year, remember Jesus has given us a past forgiven, a purpose for living, and a place in heaven. Wow!!!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: