Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Right People at the Right Place at the Right Time


How would you like to be one of the first people to gaze upon the face of God’s son? Imagine being invited by a heavenly host and an angel to a manger to witness the birth of Jesus Christ. That is exactly what happened to the shepherds in the Christmas story.

It seems the shepherds were the right people at the right place at the right time.

Luke 2:8-14 says, “And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. 12This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." 13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

What happens when the right people are at the right place at the right time? Just like the shepherds, they get to experience a miracle. I can remember two times in my life when I was the right person at the right place at the right time.

The first time was in Tully Gym at Florida State University (FSU) playing pick-up basketball in the summer of 1988. The previous spring I had just left Mercer University, and forfeited a full basketball scholarship to attend FSU in the hopes of earning a spot on the men’s basketball team. For most of my teenage years, I had worked on being the right person by practicing my basketball skills with intense dedication. Then, in a moment, I found myself making six three point shots during our game as head coach Pat Kennedy watched from the bleachers. Out of nowhere, the next week I received a full scholarship in the mail.

The second time was when I met my wife, Cindy. I had just finished playing squash in the Leach Center at FSU, and was stretching when I saw this pretty girl getting a drink at the water fountain. I had spent the last four years working on being the right man by not dating, and learning how to love God with all my heart. Now, in a moment, I was talking to a girl about to graduate who would become my future wife. I went to the Leach Center to work out and met my soul mate.

In both of these scenarios, I was blessed to be the right person at the right place at the right time. Attending FSU on a full basketball scholarship, and marrying the greatest woman in the world are two miracles that have happened in my life.

As I reflect on the shepherds in the Christmas story, and think about these two incidents in my life, it is a great reminder that God is faithful. If you continue to obey the Lord, remain patient and trust in His provision for your life, then you can be the right person at the right place at the right time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great word of encouragement, P. Ron!

Cindy W. said...

The story of the shepherds is one of my favorites. I love that God chose the most humble of men to be the first to view the greatest man ever to live. It is divine appointments like these, and like the one you shared about your own life that still excites me...God is still in the business of putting things together!