Friday, January 24, 2014

I Thought, I Laughed, and I Cried Today!



Coach Jim Valvano, while dying of cancer at his last public speech at the Espy's, exhorted his listeners to spend each day in thought, laughing, and having our emotions stirred to tears! Tanner Treadway's memorial service provided that moment for me today!

As difficult as these moments are to experience, they force us to think about the unthinkable (the death of our children) so we can remember what is most important in life! I thought about how our sufferings, and not our pleasures, make us better people!

I was overwhelmed by the attendance! It spoke volumes about the Treadway family! It made me think about how each life has a ripple effect on people. It was obvious that Tanner's life impacted people in a positive way! I was challenged to make the most of my life on earth honoring and glorifying God by serving and doing good to others. I thought about God sacrificing His Son for our sins. In Christ, suffering always leads to redemption! The death of Christ brings life to those who put their faith in Him.

I stood there looking at all the young men and women and kids. I saw competitors in different ball caps, in honor of Tanner, all united on this day in love for their friend! I watched them cry and hug! I saw them grow up today. The ripple effect of Tanner's life impacted them, but I witnessed his death impact them more! They are thinking about eternity, living to bless others, how precious life is on earth and how fleeting it is also, and they were faced with their own need for salvation in Christ! I bet they will make wiser choices in the future! Wow! What a redeeming moment for the young men and women of our city! All this happened because of Tanner's death!

I felt the embrace of Doug, Nancy and Tanner Treadway. I embraced them to comfort them, but I found that they were the ones comforting me! I saw faith, hope, love and courage in their eyes. I needed to see that as I thought about what it would be like to be in their situation! Amazing Grace! I thought about how the greatest compliment we can give others is to entrust them with our kids! I've entrusted my kids to the Treadway family many times! I don't regret that decision one bit. They have been so kind to our family!

I felt healing from all the disappointments in relationships in life as I heard the testimony of two men (Brian and Doug) being great friends for over 40 years! It reminded me that life is about relationships, and they are the real joy of life!

I heard the sound of heaven and the voice of angels as I listened to Avis, a black lady, sing Amazing Grace and The Sun is Shining Down. I thought about how God's grace is administered, and how our lives are enriched when we serve others with the gifts God gives us. I also thought about how thankful I am to do life and church with people who are of different ethnicities than me!

I thought about how communities are better when their churches are full instead of empty! I thought about how thankful I am that we have churches like Bradfordville Baptist in Tallahassee to provide a venue for Tanner's memorial service! I watched deacons hug people, hand out the memorial service schedule with a smile, and graciously assist people with seating needs. I felt grateful to be a member of the body of Christ in Tallahassee! I thought about the importance of a pastor and the role they play in our city! Great job facilitating the service Brian Tease! You made us think, laugh and cry about things that really matter!

I thought about how I'm going to hug my boys and tell them I love them. This won't be an ordinary hug!

I looked around the church from the balcony and gave thanks for all the friends I have in Tallahassee after living here for over 35 years! I reflected on how each of them have touched my life! I watched the multitudes surround Doug, Nancy and Zach waiting for an embrace and longing to speak words of love and appreciation, and thought how two events in life provide these scenarios...death and victory! The death of Jesus Christ on the cross is the victory over sin and death that we celebrate! In heaven every tear will be wiped away as we will join Tanner to surround our King in this celebration! I saw a glimpse of heaven today!

Thank you God and thank you Tanner Treadway for providing a moment I will never forget! I thought, I laughed, I cried today as a proud citizen of Tallahassee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post was very insightful and gave new perspective to family, relationships, and eternity.

Thanks Pastor Ron.