Thursday, January 01, 2015

Have a Heavy and Happy New Year!


Lifting heavier weights makes people stronger.  When I was working as a strength and conditioning coach at Florida State University, I had the opportunity to apply this very simple truth every day on the job. In fact, our strength staff used to challenge our athletes with the following words: Go Heavy or Go Home!

While working out the other day in the gym, I approached the dumbbell rack to do my last set of shoulder press for the day.  The rack holds 3 lbs. dumbbells all the way up to 50 lbs. dumbbells.  I arrived at the rack at the same time as an elderly gentleman.  After examining the dumbbell rack, we looked up and made eye contact.  Then, the elderly gentleman smiled and asked me this question: “Which set of dumbbells do you want?” 

Smiling back at him, I said, “The 3 lbs. dumbbells.”  Then, I told him there was a more accurate question he should have asked me.  I said, “You should have asked me which dumbbells are you going to use?”  After making my statement to him, I pointed to the 50 lbs. dumbbells, reached down and lifted them up and began doing my final set of shoulder presses.

As I left the gym, I couldn’t stop thinking about my earlier interaction with the elderly gentleman.  It’s always human nature to want to take the path of least resistance. With the passing of each year, the voices in my head grow louder to lift the lighter weights.  I know it will be no different in 2015.

I once read that maturity does not come with age, but with the acceptance of responsibility. I agree. We begin to mature when we learn to carry our own load. We fully mature when we learn to carry each other’s burdens.  The Scriptures are constantly exhorting us to embrace the maturation process of God with a good attitude.  Mature people persevere and finish the task God has assigned to them.  God uses the trials of life, or in other words, the heavy weights to mature us. 

James 1:2-4 says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

Mature people not only take care of their own responsibilities, but they have the capacity to carry the burdens of others.  By doing this, the law of Christ is fulfilled.  Mature people are secure people who do not have to compare themselves to others.  They know why God created them, what gifts they possess, and they know how to use them to bless others.  Mature people are not selfish people.  They take delight in sharing all good things.

Galatians 6:2-6 says, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load. Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.”

Jesus Christ was only 30-33 years of age when He ministered to people, but He was the most mature person to ever live.  How do we know this?  We know it by his ability to carry our sins in His body on the cross.  The weight and responsibility of the cross would have crushed any person trying to bear this burden. Jesus Christ is no ordinary person; He is the omnipotent Son of God.

Jesus accepted the responsibility of being wounded so we would be healed.  That takes some maturity! 

1 Peter 2:24 says, “He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed.”

My New Year’s resolution is to continue to choose the heavier weights.  I know a new year brings with it the temptation to take the path of least resistance, but I am going to choose to embrace the burdens the Lord has for me to carry.  I will take His yoke and learn from Him.  I know I can’t do this in my own strength.  I have to rely on Jesus for strength.  I know I will get tired as the year progresses, but He will give me rest as I come to Him. 

In Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus gives us this instruction, “28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 

Finally, I will constantly remind myself that the 3 lbs. dumbbells represent my flesh, and the 50 lbs. dumbbells represent God’s Spirit.  I will sow to please the Spirit now matter how loud the voices in my head scream for the lighter weights.  I will live by the Spirit and seek out the good deeds God has prepared for me to do in 2015.  I will Go Heavy or Go Home!

By doing this, I trust in the Lord that I will not grow weary, but will reap a harvest if I do not give up.  I pray 2015 is the proper time!

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.  Galatians 6:7-10


Have a Heavy and Happy New Year!

No comments: