Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family. Proverbs 31:15 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. (28) Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:27-28

I am so thankful that God has blessed me with a wonderful mother. Her unconditional love and sacrifice to care, nourish and nurture me as a young child was so amazing. Mothers have the unique ability to make a house a home. There is no one who can do this like a mother.

As many of you know, we just recently gave birth to our third son. True to her caring nature, my mom is helping at our house as Cindy recovers from a classical c-section. One of the ways she is helping is by cooking meals. My mom is a great cook. I was telling her the other day how much I enjoy the Burgandy Poppy Seed dressing from Manna's restaurant. So, what does my mom do? She made a special trip to Manna's and bought me the salad dressing. Then she came over to our house and made me my favorite salad. That night I got to eat a great salad with my newly discovered dressing. All this was made possible by the love of a mother.

There are few assignments in human experience that require the array of skills and wisdom needed by a mom in fulfilling her everyday duties. She must be a resident psychologist, physician, theologian, educator, nurse, chef, taxi driver, fire marshal, and occasional police officer. And if she succeeds in each of these responsibilities, she gets to do it all again tomorrow.

Listen how Apostle Paul, Silas and Timothy describe their ministry to the church at Thessalonica. "As apostles of Christ we could have been a burden to you, (7) but we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children. (8) We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us. (9) Surely you remember, brothers, our toil and hardship; we worked night and day in order not to be a burden to anyone while we preached the gospel of God to you." 1 Thessalonians 2:6b-9

To mother is to nurture, to train, to educate, to rear. We mother each other when we offer our concern, our care, our comfort. We mother each other when we see a need and rise to meet it whether it is a jacket for a friend who is chilly, a meal for a struggling family, or a listening ear for a friend who is hurting.

I want every mother to know how much you are valued and how much you are appreciated. Motherhood is truly a high and holy calling. Mothers, we love you. Thank you for walking so worthy of your calling. I will leave you with a great poem on how God the Father cares for us like a loving mother.

Oh gently lay your head
Upon my Chest
And I will comfort you like a Mother while you rest.
The tide can change so fast
But I will stay
The same through Past, the same in Future,
Same Today.
Oh weary, tired and worn
Let out your sighs
And drop that heavy load you hold
Cuz Mine is light.
I know you through and through
There’s no need to hide.
I want to show you love that is deep and high and wide.
For I am constant.
I am near.
I am peace that shatters all your secret fears.
I am holy.
I am wise.
I’m the only One, who knows your heart’s desires.
Oh gently lay your head upon My chest
And I will comfort you like a Mother while you rest. Jill Phillip, “I AM”

No comments: