Monday, April 30, 2007

The Reason I Do What I Do!

I will sing of the Lord's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. Psalm 89:1

Graduation weekend in Tallahassee is a great reminder to me of why I do what I do as a pastor. In ministry, I live to tell the next generation about God's love and faithfulness. I always have two emotions stirring inside of me during this time. I am happy to celebrate with the students who have graduated, but I am also sad to see many of them leave our wonderful city.

On Sunday, I received a letter from one of our former students who graduated from FSU. Her name is Lisa Johnston and she is a wonderful person. I thought I would share with you her letter in this week's blog because so many people at Every Nation Tallahassee were instrumental in demonstrating God's love to Lisa.

Congratulations Lisa and the rest of our students who graduated, and kudos to Every Nation Tallahassee for making God's faithfulness known through all generations.

Dear Pastor Ron,

I am Lisa Johnston and I have been a member of Every Nation Tallahassee for three years. I have gone on the South Africa mission trip in 2005, I have been baptized in Jesus and in the Holy Spirit. I have seen people in my church follow God like I never have before!

This church was the best thing that happened to me in college. I have a religious background, and even though I went to church every Sunday growing up, I had no idea what was waiting for me at Every Nation! God showed me how to break away from dead religious traditions and follow Him. I have never looked back since.

I am now leaving on Wednesday, May 2nd, for an internship in speech therapy in my graduate program. I am a little scared and nervous since I am going to Knoxville, Tennessee to try to live on my own away from my hometown Tallahassee! I will carry with me the tools I have learned from Every Nation Leadership Institute to Financial Peace University to Foundations and Family class.

I want to thank you, so much, for being a pastor of power, authority, honesty, and God's work for Tallahassee. You have taught me so much, along with the others on the pastoral staff.

Pastor Ron--thank you! I always enjoy shaking your hand before or after service. You are continually joyful, which I strive to be. Your family is the product of your praise. Also, thanks for speaking at the Launch (young adults) meeting last Sunday. It meant so much for a pastor to show himself as any other "normal" human being.

So, as I leave Every Nation Tallahassee and move on to my internship and a future job, hopefully in North Carolina, I pray that I'll keep remembering all God has shown me while at Every Nation Tallahassee.

Thank you once again, Pastor Ron, for your leadership and Godly characteristics enabling me to see God through others. Every Nation Tallahassee is the product of your faithfulness.

Take care and keep fighting the good fight,

Lisa Johnston

Remember--Everybody has a story to tell...what's yours?

It's Miller Time this Sunday at ENT...c ya there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

American culture tells us to suck it up, suck it in, keep it in and bury any hint of shame. Nothing could be further from our Father's heart. Pride props up self, humility bring me low. In the light of Jesus who can stand?

Could it be that we would walk with our heads high in humility, knowing that keeping our eyes fixed on our Creator leads to life, here and now, forevermore?

Humble yourself today. Be vulnerable and watch God set you on a new course.

You hit the target Pastor, as usual.