Saturday, August 30, 2008

Live to Impact (Part 3)

When the ten heard about this (the request of James and John to sit at the right and left of Jesus in His glory), they became indignant with James and John. Mark 10:41

When we live for self instead of living to serve, we negatively impact others around us. When I saw those toenails on the gym floor, I became enraged. When the ten other disciples heard the thoughtless and inconsiderate request of James and John they became indignant.

Why? It upsets us when people only think of their own interests. When people are upset and angry with our behavior, they will not be drawn to us. Our actions will either attract people to us or repel people from us. An act of service leads to a life of impact because it positively influences others and opens their hearts to the kindness of God.

Life quickly teaches us that people usually act in such a manner to profit themselves. Service is the antithesis to selfishness and is a powerful apologetic for the goodness of God. People are not used to individuals doing something to benefit their life with no hidden agenda.

I love the following adage from an unknown author. It says, “I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see. I sought my God, but my God eluded me. I sought my brother, and I found all three.”

It is true that when we live only to seek our soul, or in other words, live only for the pleasure of self, the satisfaction we seek can not be found. When we seek God, like James and John, for what He will do for us, God will elude us. However, when we “seek our brother”, which is the most pragmatic way to display altruistic behavior; selfishness is weeded out of our lives. When we live to serve others, we find our soul or the reason we exist. When we live to serve others, we find God.

James 1:27 says, “27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

When we live to serve others, we become extraordinary because: The greatest are the ones who live to impact the lives of others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron,

My name is Bob Delaney and I am looking for a Ron Miller who was the GM of the Hampton Inn in Tallahasse. We use to work together and I wanted to get in touch with him. Would you know him? If so, could you e-mail me.
Thanks!
bobdelaney@hotmail.com

Brynn said...

Pastor Ron,
I just read the sisters wade blog about your "Live to Impact" series. It was such a great summary of today's sermon at your church that I came to your blog to read more. What Kelley stated in her blog about the 350 chruches in Tallahassee caring for two or three people is so powerful! Your church could acutally change an entire city by giving that vision to all the churches there. In turn you could change an entire nation and impact government policies in a major way. Clayton Bell must have delivered a great message (so needed at this time) about who is responsible and what our motivation should be!!

Your last three blogs on living to impact are excellent!! God bless you as you lead your church to effect change--- What a vision!!!!