Sunday, August 17, 2008

Live to Impact

After fourteen years of speaking to a familiar audience, it can be quite challenging to come up with original sermon illustrations. My “Live to Impact” message was no exception. So, I began praying hard to the Lord for help in finding a story that would relate to my message on service. I really wanted to use an example on selfishness. I mentally referenced my customary places of resources such as marriage and children to uncover the perfect illustration. I was pretty confident in myself to have recently done something selfish to Cindy. However, as I diligently searched for a story, I could not procure what I was looking for.

As my five week review began to draw closer, I started to panic with the thoughts of not being able to find a story on selfishness. Tuesday morning after prayer, I drove to the gym for my routine workout and Bible study. While in the locker room, I ran into an old buddy who I used to run with on the FSU track while in graduate school. As we were “catching up” with one another, I looked down on the carpet next to my locker and could not believe what I saw with my eyes.

I had found my perfect illustration on selfishness for this Sunday message. Somebody had cut their long and nasty toenails and left them lying on the carpet. Since I had just finished taking a shower, I was barefoot and I think I stepped on some of the toe nails. As I drew my friends attention to my latest sermon illustration, we both shook our heads while saying, “Oooooh!”

Immediately, I became a double-minded and unstable man. One part of me was elated and jumping with joy that I had found a great illustration on selfishness. The other part of me was grossed out at the thought of someone leaving their unsavory toenails on the locker room carpet.

We have all been negatively impacted by people who act selfish. We can all think of instances, maybe not this reprehensible, where somebody upset us because they were only thinking about themselves. Also, we all can think of moments when we hurt others because we were only looking out for our own interests. We all know it does not take much effort at all to act selfish.

If selfishness negatively impacts people, what is the greatest way to make a positive impact on a person?

1 Corinthians 10:23-24 says, “23"Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive. 24 Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.”

Leaving odious toe nails on the gym carpet is not beneficial or constructive, and it is certainly not seeking the good of others.

Conducting our behavior in such a way that demonstrates we are considerate of the interests of others is the greatest way we can live to impact.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good message!

BarryGordonDeSigns said...

what translation is that from? What bible uses the word nobody?
I am confused.

Barry Gordon