Sunday, October 05, 2008

Suit on Sunday and Crocs with Socks (Part 2)

My last blog, Suit on Sunday and Crocs with Socks, has created quite a stir. I have received compliments for my ties and rebukes for my crocs with socks. I know you have been anxiously waiting to read part two—so here it is.

Remember, the goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith (1 Timothy 1:5).

Why do I wear a suit on Sunday?

(1) I like to dress up once a week, and let me reemphasize, only once a week. Sunday morning is the time I like to wear my nicest clothes. If I wore a suit all week, I would probably attend church wearing crocs with socks—oh no! If I were you, I would not wear a suit on Sunday.
(2) If I didn’t wear my suits on Sundays, when would I wear them? It would be poor stewardship and a waste to let my suits just hang in the closets.
(3) Others, like me, prefer to dress up on Sunday mornings. My suit might make them feel more comfortable.
(4) It feels good to receive compliments like, “You look nice.” This doesn’t happen when I wear crocs with socks—darn.
(5) Wearing a suit on Sunday appeals to my meticulous personality. I love to match my clothes. Yes, in case you are wondering, I dress myself (no help from the wife).
(6) If I were not a pastor, I would work as a haberdasher at Nic’s Toggery.
(7) If I wore another outfit, I would be copying someone else and would feel insincere as a person. I know this could change one day.
(8) Wearing a suit on Sunday is not a moral or ethical issue. My heart is pure, my conscience is clean and my faith is sincere when I am wearing a suit.
(9) To quote Will Smith in Men in Black, “I make it look good!” (Ha Ha) Thanks for the compliments. (I know # 9 contradicts # 8—I am just trying to be funny, so lighten up)

Why do I wear crocs with socks?

(1) I want my feet to be comfortable. After twenty years of running up and down a basketball court, I think I have earned this right.
(2) Wearing crocs with socks is not a moral or ethical issue. My heart is pure, my conscience is clean and my faith is sincere when I am wearing crocs with socks.
(3) As I approach forty, I am secure enough to not care what people think about my crocs with socks.
(4) Did I mention I want my feet to be comfortable? I want my feet to be comfortable. I want my feet to be comfortable. I want my feet to be comfortable.

What is the point of this blog?

First, I want to remind you to be a sincere and authentic person in everything you do so others will be attracted to you. Live to be who God created you to be and live to please Him as you bless others.

Second, I want people to come as they are to Every Nation Tallahassee. If you wear flip-flops or a suit, it doesn’t matter to me. Either way, I won’t judge you negatively. Please feel free to dress cool, comfortable, casual or nice. Just make sure you don’t dress provocative (you know the difference). Our sincerity should never be a stumbling block to others.

Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 1 Corinthians 8:9

P.S. In case you are wondering, I don’t wear a suit on Sunday and crocs with socks together at the same time. I’m not that secure!

Is this blog cool? I would love to hear what you think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the Crocs are in a coordinating color ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey P. Ron you never know, maybe one day the crocs with socks trend will spread to the nations.

Anonymous said...

That was cool. I thought, "this is silly", at first. Then you made your purpose clear at the end. I and my guessed have always appreciated the freedom of our environment at Every Nation. That is cool. You and Adam Farout are some of the best dressed men I know on Sundays. Keep it comin. We younger men are watching and taking notes. Peace. -Ron Archey

Anonymous said...

I miss spelled guests. I wrote guessed. Man. I must be real tired here at work about to go home at 2:30am. Peace. -Ron Archey Jr.

Anonymous said...

Crocks with socks and nothing else!...forget cool, now that would be HOT!
~your wife

Anonymous said...

Let's face it... Crocs really aren't that cool in the first place. We all know they're ugly, and we all know that we wear them for their comfort factor. Let's just be honest with ourselves, with or without socks, they're still crocs. ~_^