Sunday, August 09, 2009

Expect a Greater Reward


At the end of his life while facing certain death in prison, Apostle Paul had a confident expectation that he would receive a great reward for his apostolic work. Living life to please God, with an eternal perspective that there is a reward for faithfulness, is imperative for all who want to persevere well.

While working as a strength coach at Florida State University, the men's basketball coaching staff added mat drills to our pre-season training regimen. The main goal we wanted to accomplish during mat drills was to develop mental toughness in our players.

After a morning session of mat drills, I had an interesting conversation with one of our players in the weight room. The player, who absolutely loved the game of basketball, communicated to me that he would quit if we did mat drills every day. I encouraged him that his hard work would pay off at game time. Our dialogue that mat drills were better preparing him to play with excellence in his games was the only thought that gave him hope.

We will continue to endure hardship when we know there is a future reward for our labor. Apostle Paul reminded Timothy that the expectation of receiving an eternal reward made all the suffering in ministry well worth the hardships.

2 Timothy 4:6-8 says, “For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”

Are you expecting to receive a crown of righteousness in heaven?

No comments: