Sunday, November 29, 2009

Giving our Best on the Wrong Day


This past weekend was rivalry weekend in college football, and the majority of the games were quite exciting. Unfortunately, the most disappointing game was the Florida State vs. Florida match-up. The undefeated and first ranked Gators clobbered my poor Seminoles. Well, there is always next year. It seems like I have been saying that for many years now.

Anyhow, while watching the games during rivalry weekend, I couldn’t help but notice the pageantry of school colors, and the passion each fan possessed while cheering on their team. Each stadium was filled with students and alumni who were clapping, shouting, screaming, dancing and raising hands as they applauded their teams to victory. I even saw some of the most dedicated fans bowing down to their favorite performers after a big play. Other fans were crying as their teams ran onto the field. It was evident that there was no other place these people would rather be on a Saturday afternoon or evening.

Shouting, clapping, bowing down, dancing and raising hands are all external forms of praise and worship. Human beings were designed by God to participate in these activities. Therefore, we are inevitably going to find something to praise and worship.

Check out the following Scriptures:

Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy. Psalm 47:1

Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. Psalm 95:6

Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and praise the Lord. Psalm 134:2

Let them praise him (the Lord) with dancing. Psalm 149:3a


As a sports fan, I really enjoy the game of college football. In fact, it is one of my favorite athletic contests to watch. I think it is great that people support and cheer for their favorite team. As a former college athlete, I know firsthand how much it meant to my teammates and me when our stands were full of enthusiastic fans.

I just wish people would show the same enthusiasm, support and passion on Sunday in church as they do on Saturday in college football stadiums. I feel compelled to remind us that Jesus is the one who conquered sin and defeated the grave for all of eternity. He is the one who is worthy of our best praise and worship.

I propose we move our tailgate parties to Sunday mornings as we anticipate praising this great champion.

See you in the church parking lot on Sunday!

No comments: