Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The God of Endurance and Encouragement


Last Saturday, during my son’s Pop Warner football game, he was in need of some serious endurance and encouragement. In order to play in the game, he had to lose two pounds to make weight for his Mighty Mite team. Therefore, he spent extra time during the week training, and he also had to deny himself some of his favorite foods. The players weigh in before the games, so my son was not able to eat before his 11am game. His hard work and dedication paid off. He made the weight!

By the end of the game, I knew my son would be exhausted because of the heat, the lack of pre-game nutrition, and the demand of playing on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. With about 3 minutes to go in the game, his team was leading 8-7 while the opposing team was driving down the field. My son was very lethargic at his middle linebacker position, and was having trouble catching his breath. He was in desperate need of some serious endurance and encouragement.

So, as a loving father, I stood right on the sideline screaming words of endurance and encouragement to him. Each time the position of the ball moved, I would realign myself on the sideline so he could see me clapping, and hear me cheering. With about 40 seconds to go in the game, the other team was in scoring position at our 5 yard line.

Instantly, I began to yell even more passionately my words of endurance and encouragement. The quarterback took the snap and ran towards the right side of the field trying to get into the end zone for a touchdown. My son and his teammates chased him down and caused him to fumble the ball, which was recovered by our team. Even though he was physically drained, my son endured and helped his team secure the victory.

The next day in church during Communion, as I was remembering the death of Jesus on the cross for our sins, I began to think about the significance of this sacrificial act of love. As we gaze upon Christ on the cross, we see a Messiah who positioned Himself in a way to reconcile us to God. 2 Corinthians 5:19 states: “God reconciled the world to Himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them.” Through Christ, God now looks favorably on His people. Our God, the Eternal Father, is our greatest source of endurance and encouragement!

Just as I was laboring to position myself on the sideline, so my son could see and hear my words of endurance and encouragement during the final minutes of his game, Jesus Christ positioned Himself on the cross for all of eternity to encourage us and help us endure with His love.

Encourage means to inspire with courage, spirit, or confidence. Our God fills us with His Spirit so we can be courageous as a witness for Him. It is impossible to endure in any mission when we are not encouraged. It takes both encouragement and endurance to win a football game, and it takes both encouragement and endurance to serve Christ well.

Romans 15:4-6 states, “For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. 5May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, 6so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

I don’t know about you, but I am constantly in need of some serious endurance and encouragement as I try to faithfully fulfill my duties in life. Romans 8:31-32 states: “31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" Yes, our God graciously gives us the endurance and encouragement we need to serve Him well.

Remember, when times get tough, He is right there clapping and cheering you on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect picture of our faithful loving Father. Thank you. I will keep this image of Jesus right there next to me ~~ clapping and lending His words of encouragement and endurance to me.
CG