Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Love Being the Water Boy!


Water Boy: a person who carries a canteen or bucket of drinking water to those too occupied to fetch it, as to soldiers, laborers, or football players.

In order for a family, church, team, business or government organization to be great each individual must do his or her part well. Apostle Paul taught this principle to the church at Ephesus. In Ephesians 4:16 he writes: “From him the whole body (church), joined and held together by every supporting ligament (relationship), grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.”

This season two of my sons are playing on Pop Warner football teams. So, I spend most of my week trying to juggle my time between their two different practice and game times. On Ethan’s team, I am an official assistant coach. I even have a Pop Warner identification card with my picture to prove it. On Josiah’s team, I do not hold an official position.

As the season has progressed, I have found myself occupying one common position on both of their teams during the games. I have gladly taken the role of the water boy. Traditionally, the water boy is the guy who was not good enough to make the team. He is usually the one who gets picked on or mocked as he carries out his duties. It is the position occupied by the “average Joe”.

Now, keep in mind, I have ten years of major college coaching experience. I am more qualified to be head coach than the majority of the fathers who serve as Pop Warner coaches. So, why would I be the one to fill the water boy position?

I never realized how important the water boy is until it was my responsibility to fulfill the hydrating duties. When the temperature is in the mid to high nineties at game time, the water boy’s assignments are some of most indispensable on the team. Failure to properly hydrate the players means they do not perform well on the field. Failure to perform well on the field will lead to a certain defeat. Therefore, the water boy is just as important as any other member on the team. To be successful, each person on the team must do his or her assignment with excellence.

Both of my sons’ teams have not lost a game this year. They are not necessarily the most talented teams. However, they are the most unified teams. Each coach and every player works together and takes care of their responsibilities. After two of our games, the officials have commented on how disciplined and how well our teams play together.

As Lord of lords and King of kings, Jesus did not come to earth to be served, but to serve, and give his life as a ransom for many (Matthew 20:18). He humbled himself even to the point of death on a cross, and took on the very nature of a servant to save his people and set them free from their sins (Philippians 2:7-8). In other words, He was God’s “water boy” for us. Jesus took the least desirable role to do the most significant act in history.

After each game this year I have left the field with a great sense of satisfaction having just watched my sons’ teams achieve victories. I didn’t call a play, make an important game situation decision, and I wasn’t the most visible guy on the field. However, I faithfully kept each and every one of the players hydrated and ready to compete. I did my part to help our teams win.

Gosh, I love being the water boy!

No comments: